Wednesday, November 20, 2013

keep calm and eat healthy

{repeat to self}
 
 
 
 
 
my weight has always fluctuated back and forth back and forth.  this time of year, I definitely lean towards the heavier side by overindulging in Pumpkin Spiced Lattes and snacking in front of the tv.  my britches are getting a little too snug for comfort and i'd love to be able to get into some of my cute menwear-style pants this winter.  I've always been a big eater, so in order to diet successfully I need to find nutrient-rich but satisfying meals that are low in calories that I can eat bucket loads of while still cutting down on my calorie intake.  a low-carb diet always works pretty well for me with lots of vegetables and fruits and nuts to snack on.  these are my favorite low-calorie, nutritious meals to make when my pants are feeling tight! 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
{kale chips:  I like baking mine at a higher temperature to get those burnt, crisp edges.  375 degrees for 15 minutes.  I season mine with olive oil, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and nutritional yeast}
 
 
 
 
 
{when all you crave is pasta, the spaghetti squash substitute works pretty well for me.  load your sauce with shredded carrots, tomatoes, mushrooms and add turkey meatballs for more sustenance.}
 
 
 
 
 
{thai-basil style eggplant.  I make mine with very little oil and sauce....allow it to simmer until all the vegetables are nice and soft and top over brown rice.  mine is packed full of veggies and chopped chicken.  so filling and satisfying!  use hoisin sauce and spicy chili sauce and avoid all the sodium from soy sauce}
 
 
 
 
{roast chicken with veggie sides: I try to roast my own, but for lazy days i'll grab a rotisserie chicken from the Fresh Market.  chop the leftover chicken up to make a yummy soup loaded with zucchini and tomatoes.}
 
 
 
 
{when i'm craving something more decadent, i'll make myself a turkey burger on a small whole-wheat bun.  kills the craving without all the guilt.}
 
 
 
some go-to places of things you can order and eat out but still stay healthy?  when in doubt, go for ethnic!  I like papaya salads or vermicelli salad bowls at Vietnamese restaurants or steamed vegetables with tofu and lemongrass.  a big chopped salad at Cantina 1511 is always one of my faves, but it's hard for me to resist the tacos!  my favorite healthy meal is grabbing a fresh pressed veggie juice at Earthfare and a meal off the hot bar.  I try to load up on protein (salmon or baked chicken) along with my juice.
 
 
 
 

No comments: